What is Hand Therapy?
Hand Therapy is a highly specialised type of rehabilitation performed by a Physiotherapist and/or an Occupational Therapist for patients who have conditions or injuries affecting the hand or upper limb. Hand therapy aims to help regain lost function of the hand or arm.
which conditions benefit from hand therapy?
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid / Inflammatory arthritis
- Fractures and dislocations
- Ligament Injuries
- Tendon Injuries
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- DeQuervain's disease
- Tennis Elbow / Golfers' elbow
- Dupuytren's Disease
- Wrist pain
- Mallet finger
- Trigger Finger
- Scarring post injury or surgery
- Nerve Injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- CRPS - chronic regional pain syndrome
- Hand, wrist or elbow stiffness
What Hand Therapy services do we provide?
- Full assessment of the Upper Limb and Hand
- Joint mobilisation
- Soft tissue technique and fascia work
- Tailored exercise programs
- Splinting - custom made thermoplastic splinting
- Scar management / scar care
- Oedema management / swelling control
- Hydrotherapy Bath specifically for Upper Limbs
- Paraffin Wax bath
- Sensory re-education
- Joint protection
- Instruction for home care and support advise
- Hand Therapy for musicians